Saturday, September 14, 2019







Ziggurat

I set myself the project of creating a Pop-Up Accordion Book using Japanese Papers, which are very tough, but also soft. I wanted to make a sewn book. All of the structures are sewn into the backing paper. Some lino-print patterns have been added, as well as decorative stitching. I had to devise a way to stitch the structures so they would move freely and didn't use the tabs I would normally use to glue them in place. It was fun having to figure out new ways to make the pop-ups work within the parameters I set. You can see by the not-quite-as-neat stitching on the Tetrahedron (pictured last) that there was some trial-and-error. I didn't pull out the stitching for fear everything would tear, though the paper is very resilient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment