Wednesday, May 17, 2017







Student Work
This March, I was invited to teach a five-day PopUp workshop at Cawthra Park Secondary School with Grade 9 and 10 Visual Arts students. I worked with them last year, too, and I have to say that they're an awesome group of people to work with! They take what I teach them and run with it. We used coloured paper to make concertina books with end boards. Every day I showed them a different kind of paper-engineering device. Their themes were Figures, Heroes, and Space (inner or outer). I didn't see the finished books until I was invited to the Spring Artfest - an annual showcase of student work. Their books just blew me away - so many creative ways of exploring the given themes and such a high level of skill and talent. Each book different - playing with a variety of colour schemes, delicate hand-cut designs, humour, inventive engineering - they humble me. Above are just a few samples of the students' work, to give you an idea of how well the books turned out. 
Results like this make it all worthwhile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment